Monday, July 23, 2012

"A Further Proposel" By Allen Ginsberg




Come live with me and be my love,
And we will some old pleasures prove.
Men like me have paid in verse
This costly courtesy, or curse;

But I would bargain with my art
(As to the mind, now to the heart),
My symbols, images, and signs
Please me more outside these lines.

For your share and recompense,
You will be taught another sense:
The wisdom of the subtle worm
Will turn most perfect in your form.

Not that your soul need tutored be
By intellectual decree,
But graces that the mind can share
Will make you, as more wise, more fair,

Till all the world's devoted thought
Find all in you it ever sought,
And even I, of skeptic mind,
A Resurrection of a kind.

This compliment, in my own way,
For what I would receive, I pay;
Thus all the wise have write thereof,
And all the fair have been their love.
Roberts, Edgar V., and Robert Zweig. Literature: An Introduction to Reading and
Writing. Boston: Longman, 2012. Print. Allen Ginsberg. A Further Proposal. Page 723.

No comments:

Post a Comment